test

Saturday, February 1, 2014

first day of kindergarten

Yesterday I headed back to my alma mater to teach Kindergarten. I had not been back since my last day of 8th grade, so it was interesting to spend the day. (One of my former teachers still works there!) Although I have had lots of EA and ECE supply calls, this was my first teaching assignment in a Kindergarten class in well over a year. We had a fun day, and it reminded me of the following poem that I wrote back in one of my university writing courses (having clearly not experienced the utter chaos and mayhem of a kindergarten classroom on the first day of school):


first day of kindergarten

the bell rings
voices sound in the hall
shattering the stillness
of the early morning

they laugh and chatter
as velcro crackles
new shoes squeak
and doors slam

you stand in the doorway
and watch
taking it all in

twenty students sit cross-legged
on the faded orange carpet
and turn inquisitive faces
toward you

they wait--
mouths slightly ajar
eyes wide with anticipation--
for you to say something

because this year,
you're the teacher!





No comments:

Post a Comment