test

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

when you can't find a job - part two

So I didn't think there would be a "part 2" to this post -- but the thing with life is, sometimes it just happens and you have to roll with it.  Last week I was selling furniture, and suddenly this week I'm selling homemade preserves. Huh?!

Allow me to rewind for a moment...

Last year, due to an unexpected abundance of cucumbers from our garden, I made my own pickles and relish for the first time. My family members received them for birthday and Christmas gifts and raved about them. (The pickle recipe was from my aunt--thanks, Rennie VanderWal!) Due to the connections I've made though my other business venture recently, I had given some thought to perhaps selling a few jars of pickles online this summer. I'd been collecting canning jars all winter, just in case. (Free ones are the best kind!) I knew there was a market for homemade preserves.  I was an assistant manager of a cafe/bakery/retail store nearby for several years. Every summer, we sold thousands of jars of homemade pickles and jam.

Anyhow, last week, I went strawberry picking at Laundry Farms and suddenly found myself with a fridge full of 6 quarts of strawberries. I put most of them in the freezer for smoothies, but made a batch of strawberry jam, since this husband of mine enjoys strawberry jam on his toast. 

Anyway, the jars looked so pretty sitting there all lined up on my kitchen counter, and I thought, "Hmm, I wonder if I can sell a couple of jars to at least pay for the berries I bought?" So, I snapped a photo, posted it on one of my favourite Facebook selling sites, and what do you know? Someone wanted 4 jars. Then someone else wanted 2 jars. Before I knew it, I'd sold my whole batch of jam and there was nothing for Mr. Gryce to put on his toast! 

So, I went and picked some more berries, made some more jam, and voila! my second business venture of 2013 was born: The County Cupboard.









That's right! I'm selling homemade preserves from fresh, homegrown, Prince Edward County (whenever possible) produce. I have fresh strawberry jam, blueberry jam, and some bread and butter pickles in stock at the moment. I'm taking orders for canned tomato sauce, and relish. Depending on how well our garden does, I may sell fresh produce as well. 

And the first reviews are already in! One satisfied customer wrote to tell me today, 

"Your strawberry jam is...plugged full of scrumptious berries! [T]hat's what I love about it....you didn't skimp on the berries....almost one jar down [already]!!!" -Diane L.

After my previous blog post about my first business venture, Organize Me!, I actually had two job interviews, but never got a call back. So, for now, I'm enjoying being my own boss (x2), in the comfort of my home, where I choose my own wardrobe and my hours. I'm really excited about this next adventure! 

Please help me expand my business by "liking" my new Facebook page  for The County Cupboard. Oh, and putting in an order wouldn't hurt either! ;)






No comments:

Post a Comment