test

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

on blogging

Another one of my passions is writing. I have always enjoyed the process of organizing my thoughts, finding my voice on paper (or on a keyboard), and writing about something or someone that I care about. This explains all the blog posts about family, friends, relationships, finding hope and healing in life's struggles, finding your passion in life, etc, etc. 

I think I come by it honestly. My Pake Dykstra (grandfather) was a gifted writer, who ended up writing his autobiography before he died. Our family had it published a few years ago. His daughter, my aunt Rennie, is a wonderful writer also. (You can read some of her writing here.) As soon as I could hold a pencil, I have been writing, so it seems only natural that I should start a blog. 

Blogging has been very therapeutic for me. Because it's not face-to-face, it's easier to be vulerable. To open up my heart and speak what's in it. And over the past three months, I am learning that I have a lot to say. And that what I say is important. My life lessons are valuable. My public encouragement of others is crucial.  My honesty is essential. And that's a big deal coming from a girl who's primary wound keeps telling her she's not enough. 

Watching my stats counter rise has been an affirmation that I need to continue writing. And judging by your comments (though they have been few and far between lately) and facebook "likes," writing isn't just helping me, it's helping and encouraging some of you as well. I can't tell you how much joy I feel every time my husband shares the link for my latest blog post on his Facebook, along with some quick phrase about how I nailed it. We've had some good discussions afterwards about things I've written, and he is seeing me come more fully alive. And through my blog, he's definitely learning more about this girl he married.

Now I know there are individuals reading this blog whose sole purpose in reading is to simply find dirt to feed their gossip group. I've has emails from a few readers fishing for more details about my personal life, (as if the blog posts weren't detailed enough) all under the guise of Christian love. (Just so you know, if I have my doubts about someone's sincerity and motive, I have my husband read them. He's intuitive that way, and also an excellent judge of character--which I'm sure the gossip group would say is just plain arrogant lol.) That all being said, I realize--as with anything worth doing--I have to take the bad with the good. 

At this point, let me be very clear: It is never my intention to harm anyone through my writing. Yes, I tell it like it is. Sometimes that might hurt a little. (But, as my husband often reminds me, hurt is not the same as harm.) Sometimes it might be uncomfortable. (Often, truth isn't, is it?) Sometimes you might be offended. (I got a few emails from offended readers when I wrote this post.) Sometimes you might completely disagree. I'm okay with that. 

So, I welcome thoughts, feelings, reactions to my posts. I really, really want to hear from you--but only if you're willing to be real about it. You don't have to agree with everything I write. I don't expect you to. I'd still like to hear your side. I'd like to hear about your life experiences--your hopes, hurts, and healing journey--and how they've shaped who you are.  We don't have to do life alone!   

I look forward to reading your comments and emails. And I can't wait to listen to your stories! It just might inspire another blog post! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment